Every 7 days, my Mentor Mesh local community jumps on a movie contact to discuss about the past 7 days – the excellent, the lousy, the wins inside of the team, & basically, give an prospect for members to share journeys and assistance each individual other.
So in the spirit of sharing I’m posting a little something I have been tinkering close to with on the side for the last few weeks. As I have shared ahead of, I think there are a large amount of similarities among Product or service Administration and Gross sales, at minimum in how I solution it with my shoppers.
Lately, wellbeing has caught up with me and I realize that I’m no for a longer period as youthful as I made use of to be, and I need to have to choose superior treatment of myself. Do not fret, I’ll be good, I just want to pay out interest to what I take in and consider superior care of myself.
It did nonetheless, get me wanting at possibilities from cooking to ordering at dining places or using food stuff supply apps (hey I am fast paced amongst work and youngsters). I observed that there are not certain nutritional restrictions, diet plan behavior or spiritual selections in food shipping and delivery apps (I will say that 2 did present Vegan, Vegetarian, Lower Extra fat, Minimal Carb & Halal).
So I dug in and commenced figuring out how to repair it. I started out to build a wireframe (mock-up) of the respective apps and in which the nutritional selections could be inserted on the software. As I commenced the course of action, I leaned on the community for some knowledge. Soon after speaking with a fellow community member (many thanks @Will Fang), he encouraged a different tactic. 1 that centered a lot more on the consumer stream of the software vs where solutions could be extra in the app. This designed fantastic feeling, in particular since I’m not an staff of these companies or how their apps had been designed.
As I do with most of my tips or ideas, I commenced with investigate to recognize how the foods delivery app industry was doing, how health and fitness in the US was currently at.
What I realized was stunning to me:
· Digital Food stuff orders = approx. $26.8B field
· Over 44M end users in the US immediately after 2020 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/content/PMC7044187/
· Hypertension (<130 systolic / <80 diastolic) in adults in US is approximately at 47% https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj_rr_BoLf2AhXBSzABHfIqB4AQFnoECBEQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fbloodpressure%2Ffacts.htm&usg=AOvVaw1ybLJ0BjGEYvEiacu_oJ_s
· By 2025, the industry is expected to grow to a 21% share of the total restaurant market https://beambox.com/food-delivery-service-statistics
I also found out that the FDA doesn’t require food delivery apps to include nutrition data. Let me restate that – the FDA doesn’t require nutrition data from food delivery apps. They only require nutrition data if there are over 20 locations.
Now coming from a problem-solving aspect and someone who understands the importance of data and how it can impact decisions, I found this a little troubling. A multi-billion-dollar industry doesn’t leverage the existing information on most restaurants’ websites (yet somehow pull menu items) to establish a data analytic program to setup certain levels that would meet various dietary restrictions.
For example, if someone is on a low-sodium (like I am now, YAY!), paleo, low-carb (Keto) diet, could the Food Delivery company could pull in nutrition data and set a threshold on carbs, sodium, organic, etc. and provide an option. Of course, they will need to disclose that they are not a healthcare organization so the user should consult with their doctor for proper diet/nutrition facts.
Now this is just an idea that I have. If this was something I was going to pursue, I’d follow the following steps:
– User testing for feedback
- This would help confirm if this was an issue or just something that impacts very little of the population & thus wouldn’t be worth the effort financially.
– Determine impact (ROI)
- Customer worth x the potential # of new users/#of extra orders (by adding more options)
- Cost to develop/setup data flow(s) & algorithm(s) to set thresholds between restaurant nutrition info vs specific diet (low sodium/low carb) along with options (vegan, vegetarian, paelo, religious) not already included (*Some apps offer options already)
- Subtract Cost from extra revenue to determine ROI and payback period
– Obtain stakeholder buy-in (I believe this is needed as soon as impact is determined to gain buy in before design)
– Develop User flow
– Collaborate with Developers, Engineers, Marketing, Sales, etc
I hope this provides insight into my thought process & mind (scary thing I know). This is the same process I follow no matter if I’m helping my customers solve a challenge or looking into options for personal reason to make something better.
If one of these companies decided to put the US on the healthy track by at least providing options including religious, dietary, etc – it could have a huge impact which I’ve included below:
Potential Impact of changes (figures are US only) – not including ROI:
– Improve upon obesity rate of 19% in 2- & 19-year-olds
– Improve upon obesity rate 40% of Adults
– Reduce cost of $147B to US Health system for Obesity
Some additional research I’ve found is in the graphic (title pic) which may be the reason this isn’t a bigger problem – I used to be one of the 59% but no longer – I’m on the path to being much healthier!
Have a great weekend!!!